Tuesday 20 March 2018

1/6 Hot Toys Star Wars Princess Leia Figure Review

I've been wanting to put up some pictures of my Star Wars figures by Hot Toys for a while, and where better to start than with the amazing Princess Leia figure from A New Hope.

Look out for the rest of the characters from A New Hope coming soon. 

Hope you enjoy the review.

This figure represents probably my favourite version of Leia. She had the most energy and didn't suffer fools at all, upon being released from her prison cell she immediately took charge of the young farm boy, renegade smuggler and Wookiee who had come to rescue her. It was a bold vision for the future back when the film was made, when women were often portrayed as the damsel in distress. Star Wars and Alien definitely helped break that mould during the 70's.

I'm really glad I snapped this figure up back when it was released especially as the price dramatically increased after 2016. Unless you've been living under a rock you will of course know that Carrie Fisher sadly left us in December 2016 after suffering a heart attack. I think this figure immortalises her really well and will always have a prime spot in my collection.

I've been practising a little more than usual with my new camera  and I think I've finally gotten to grips with it. I'm over the moon with how the pictures turned out. Enjoy :)


Sculpt: From a certain angle it does kind of look like Carrie Fisher..... ha kidding. Flipping hell it's like they shrunk the real person down! Hot Toys knocked it out of the park with this figure. I have this figure in my display cabinet downstairs and I'm constantly walking past it and stopping to take notice. It's a convincing sculpt from every angle. I'm glad they went down the sculpted hair route too rather than using real rooted hair as they often do. The detail on the hair is excellent. Overall the Star Wars line of figures have enjoyed a very high standard of work, applause has to be given to the talented So Young Lee who's responsible for the sculpt.



Paint: The skin tone on her face is excellent, it simply can't be faulted. The detailing on her face also stands up to the closest scrutiny and add's a massive level of realism to a great sculpt. The only very small complaint is that her hands are a little on the red side, but hey I'm not going to dwell on that. Beyond that there's not much else to say paint wise as the rest is costume based. I will just say that the paintwork on her belt and two guns is great, simple and clean. Obviously there's not too much detail on the guns given that they are black but the blaster rifle does have a little weathering which is a nice touch.




Articulation: She comes with the fairly standard Hot Toys female body. She does have the double elbow joints that I prefer though, which means you really can get some very natural gun poses. The first picture at the top of the post also highlights that you can get her hands right up to her face and higher. Aside from that she has double knee joints, the usual swivel wrist pegs, ball jointed ankles and head. There's a little bit of articulation at the neck, abdomen and hips but she does have a silicone covered torso so it restricts the movement by a small margin, it really doesn't restrict you that much though. More on her outfit in a moment but it doesn't get in the way of movement at all seeing how light and thin it is. Also her boots are soft and allow ankle movement underneath. 



Accessories: Whilst she doesn't come with a ton, I guess she comes with enough. She has her blaster pistol from the first scene in the film, plus the blaster rifle that she wields during the Death Star escape. The stand that's included is the same one used in most Star Wars figures that Hot Toys have done and although it's simple it does the job. Clearly it's supposed to mimic flooring from the Death Star.
2 pairs of hands and an extra left hand seems a little light for Hot Toys though, maybe they were a little uninspired when choosing what to include seeing as Carrie wasn't overly expressive with her hands in the film.





Outfit: Her robe is made from a very light and thin material which allows it to hang pretty nicely in this scale, and the colour and stitching on the fabric is clean and done to a very high standard. The hood also has a thin wire running through it which allows you to pose it over her hair easily. The only issue is it'sso white that I'm always worried about handling the figure ha. I guess if she gets grubby I can just say it's from later in the film after she's been in the trash compactor :)

I've also included a picture of her boots below, which are made from a faux leather. Hot Toys don't always employ this method, usually they use rubber so it's great to see. Companies like Soldier Story and DID use these kind of boots way more but I'd say Hot Toys nailed it here.





Couldn't resist doing the classic pose here. She's pictured with Sideshow's 1/6  R2D2. 

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope

For scale purposes, here's a can of Cola.


Hot Toys have also recently released a Leia from Empire Strikes Back, in her Hoth gear and there's an older Leia Organa from the Last Jedi in the wings. They are both excellent figures that I'll mostly likely get, but this is the ultimate one for me.

The world truly did get a little bit greyer with the death of Carrie Fisher, and she'll always be in the hearts of movie fans everywhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment